Do you cut your flowers from your garden to enjoy indoors? I hope so! To help you enjoy your flowers indoors as well, check out this list of 8 quick tips!
1. If using a clear vase, be sure to change the water daily to keep the water CLEAN.
2. Keep floral arrangements simple, two at the most. One for color, one for filler.
3. Pull off most of the leaves like the florists do. Pulling off the leaves helps to give your arrangement a polished and professional look.
4. Keep in mind that most flowers take 2-3 days to open up, so it’s OK to pick the closed buds when purchasing flowers. This is also a helpful tip if you are buying flowers for a special event and want them to be fully opened for that day.
5. If you change the water often, your fresh cut flowers will last from 3-10 days.
6. Try to avoid placing your flower arrangements on window sills or bright light- the sun and heat will quickly wilt the flowers.
7. Early morning is the best time to cut your fresh flowers. The flowers would have been exposed to cool night air and morning dew.
8. Here is a great design rule from the florist: the height of the flowers should not exceed 1 1/2 times the height of the vase.
I hope you have learned a new trick or two! Have a safe and happy 4th everyone!