I stopped by a local hardware store today that just started carrying Benjamin Moore paint products. I don’t want to name the store or who was working, not important. He was very new to paint and Ben Moore so I told him I would give him a few helpful hints when helping customers, which he told me was sometimes a nightmare!
* Suggest Benjamin Moore White Dove when asked for the best/favorite trim and cabinet color. A good white without obvious undertones.
* Suggest to the customer that they bring in a piece of fabric or inspiration to help choose a color, NOT a cell phone picture.
* When they have no idea where to even start, ask if they are looking for a warm and cozy room (beige,red, orange or yellow) or a bright and cool room (white,blue, green or violet).
* A great place to start looking for colors is in Historical Colors. 95% of all paint colors chosen are from the Historical Collection. Tried and true! Or show them the Candace Olsen Fan Deck and tell the customer how popular she and the colors are.
* Push those paint samples! I strongly suggest buying just a small sample and testing on poster board before you paint on walls. The color will change from that small paper sample to up on the wall. Even I always do:
He was very appreciative! My good deed for the day. Do you have any other quick paint tips I could share with him to help a beginner with his new job? Thank you!
If you need help selecting paint colors for your home, contact me today.